child care payment reminder
The ideal child care billing situation would be one where every parent is aware of a looming tuition payment deadline, and is prepared when that day arrives with a check that covers each day of child care provided, as well as factoring fees for late pickup and similar infractions.
As nice as this sounds, it is rarely the case. The parents your child care center serves are busy. It is unlikely that they will remember every payment, let alone track hours and accrued fees on their own spreadsheet.
It can be difficult to remind parents of their overdue child care bills. Drop-off and pickup times are always hectic as care providers monitor kids, gather their belongings, and prepare them for the beginning / end of the day, while parents hurry off to work or to get their kids home for the night.
Because this is often the only face-to-face time care providers get with parents, incorporating daycare attendance software that can also display tuition payment reminders is valuable.
Use Check-In Messages as Tuition Payment Reminders
If left unchecked, a family’s balance due can build up over time, making collection of larger balances difficult and time consuming. Using the Attendance Tracker messaging feature of Procare Software®, you can remind parents they need to make a payment if their balance exceeds a certain amount. Because the Attendance Tracker also knows exactly when students were checked in and out, the center can easily charge fees for extra hours and late pickups.
Of course another option, to make sure you are paid on time – every time, is to use Tuition Express™ to collect payments electronically, but we’ll save that for another article.
How Does it Work?
You’ll simply create a recurring message to appear at the Computer Check-In Station for any parents whose balance is greater than a certain dollar amount, say $50. This message will only be displayed when their balance exceeds that amount.
To create the message begin at the main screen Procare Family Data:
- Go to Functions –> Attendance Tracker –> Messages. Click New at the bottom.
- On the Message screen under Type of Message select the option Current Balance and set the ‘greater than or equal to’ amount to whatever you’d like, say $50.
- Choose an End Date far into the future, and mark Show Always – that way the message will appear any time the balance amount is exceeded, until the future date is reached.
- In the box below, type the message that you’d like your payers to read, for example:
“Attention! Your payment is past due. Please speak with the office manager to make payment arrangements as soon as possible.”
It can be easy for parents to forget about an upcoming payment. While this is understandable, child care providers can’t let it slide. In order to run a successful child care program, there has to be a consistent cash flow on a monthly basis.
An easy way to send child care billing reminders to parents is through your check-in interface. This is beneficial to your center as it ensures consistent cash flow, and to parents as it keeps past due balances from becoming unmanageably high.
Want to learn more about managing child care billing? Check out these related articles:
- Automate Child Care Billing & Email Statements
- How to Increase Child Care Billing Rates
- Separate Weekly, Monthly Tuition Payments
- Family Daycare vs Daycare Center: What’s the Difference?
- 7 Biggest Child Care Challenges & How Technology Can Help
- What Is Family Daycare & Is It Right for You?
- 6 Key Factors to Consider for Starting & Operating an After School Program
- Checklist: 6 Essential Steps for Starting a Preschool That Parents Will Choose