Daycare Payroll: Holiday Hours
Although you probably won’t be taking a paid holiday to a tropical beach in Brazil (as pictured here), you may offer paid time off for holidays at your child care, daycare or preschool. If so, you’ll need a way to keep track of holiday hours for qualified employees and include that information on time sheets at the end of your pay period.
At the time of this writing we’re about half way between the 4th of July and Labor Day, two common holidays for those daycare centers operating in the good old U.S. of A. So, what better time to learn how to use Child Care Management Software to record holiday hours?
In this article we’ll talk about how to use Procare Software® to process paid holiday hours for all (or many) staff members at once.
Create a Holiday Pay Code
- From the Procare Home screen click Configuration > System > Accounting Management > Employee Data > dbl-click Pay Codes.
- If you don’t already have one for holiday click the top (blank) line and enter a Pay Code Name of “Holiday” and assign it to an expense account number like “5070.00 Payroll-Vacation Benefits”. Since holiday hours would typically not count toward overtime be sure the Pay OT box is unchecked. There should be a check in the Active box.
- Click Save > Exit to leave the Pay Codes screen and you’ll return to the System Configuration screen.
- Under the Employee Data section dbl-click Benefit Codes.
- If holiday is not already listed click the top (blank) line and select “Holiday” from the list of Pay Codes. Enter the percentage as 100% (assuming you’ll pay 100% of their normal hourly rate). Mark Check Stub to include this benefit when printing payroll checks. Then click Save > Exit.
Record the Holiday for Everyone
Now you’re ready to record the holiday to the time card of all employees at once. Be sure to do this AFTER the holiday has passed. For example if the holiday falls on a Monday (as many do) wait until Tuesday, or later in the week, to record it. This allows staff members to clock in and out as normal, during the rest of the week, when using Procare’s Time & Attendance Tracking Software.
- In the Employee Data module go to Functions > Batch Post Time Card.
- Select an Employed As Of date to match the date of the holiday. This way, only staff members who are currently employed will get credit for the holiday.
- Choose to Base Posting On the “Primary Work Area” then select a Pay Code of “Holiday” with the appropriate Date and a comment like “Labor Day”. Typically you’ll want the Time In and Out to add up to eight (8) hours. Then click Next.
- A list of all eligible employees will be displayed. Select them all by clicking the check box at the top of the column then uncheck anyone for who you do not wish to give the holiday hours. Click Process.
Enjoy your holidays and until next time, cheers!
P.S. You may also like to Follow Me on Twitter.
If you have questions or comments about this article (or suggestions for another article) I’d be pleased to hear from you. Drop me at note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © Procare Software – All Rights Reserved
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.